Can I get some free advice?

By all means give us a call on 01208 220214, our team will be happy to answer any questions you may have and give you some initial guidance on the best way forward for your situation.
My project is quite small, can you help?

Regardless of size, A & K Architectural Services treats all of our clients jobs with the same professionalism and importance. We always remember that modifications to your property may well be a once in a life time venture and we always ensure the process is as smooth and efficient as possible for you.

Do I need planning permission?

We can assess your plans and advise whether they meet the criteria set out in the “The Town and Country Planning Act 1990” and “Statutory Instrument 2362” Many projects like loft conversions, single storey rear and side extensions do not require planning permission.

Guidance can be found at

If planning consent is required we can prepare a full planning application, submit and manage on your behalf. typically planning consent takes 8 – 12 weeks including our time to prepare drawings and application.

For areas of outstanding natural beauty and conservation areas you will also be required to submit a Design and Access statement to assess the impact of the proposal on the property and its surroundings, we allow for these when required and submit with the application for planning consent.

The documents required are full elevation and floor plans of the property showing existing and proposed schemes along with a block plan and site location plan showing exact location of property relative to neighbouring properties.

Planning consent can only be granted by local authorities.

How do I get Planning Permission?

After a design has been finalised from your visions, A & K Architectural Services will submit all documentation on your behalf, leaving you with fully approved plans ready for Building Regulations.

What about Building Regulations?

All construction work must comply with UK building Building Regulations to ensure that any proposed construction work meets the correct standards and recognised practices. This permission is granted through your local area building control (LABC) or privately approved inspectorate.

As with Planning Applications we can prepare a full application, submit and manage the process on your behalf. Typically building regulation approval takes between 4 and 6 weeks including our time to prepare the documentation.

What about my neighbours?

We strongly advise you to speak with your neighbours about any potential development so they are aware of your intentions. They may even be able to offer you more ideas to enhance your plans.

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 requires that neighbours are notified by way of a formal document that you intend to carry out works adjacent to their property in certain circumstances.

For example if you own semi detached house and wish to convert the loft space which requires you to work on the party wall between the two properties. A notice would need to be served to gain the agreement of your neighbour.

The objective of the Act is to prevent disputes disputes and where it cannot provide a framework to resolve. We can provide this service and prepare the letters required to make this process a smooth painless task.

Once a neighbour is notified in this way they are better informed, so the whole process of building becomes less stressful.

I am in a mining area, is that a problem?

Cornwall has had many types of mining industry over the years and this can affect the stability of any build works.

We can provide mining reports to be sure the ground conditions for your plans are suitable or can be reviewed by a structural engineer to ensure overcome any problems.

What about Structural Engineering?

We can provide structural engineering services for foundations, timber frame houses, extensions and loft conversions. These will give full detail of structures and full calculations to support the designs. We have worked with an approved associate for many years who carries out structural engineering work on our behalf

Want to know more?

If you would like to arrange a no obligation consultation please either use our contact form here, request a callback or simply telephone 01208 220214. We understand investing in plans is not an simple process therefore will do all we can to answer any questions you may have

A blog about Wordpress design, development , Software and inspiration